Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Day My Grandfather Groucho and I Saved ‘You Bet Your Life’ - Boing Boing


This is pretty cool.  It's hard to imagine how much has been lost - and what is still with us, just inaccessible.  Great that some of these old treasures are preserved for future generations. 
"I work at the NBC storage warehouse in Englewood Cliifs, New Jersey," the man said. "We've got several boxes of 16mm reels of film from 'You Bet Your Life' and we were wondering if Mr. Marx wants any of it. If not, we're going to destroy all of it tomorrow."
"Destroy it?" I asked increduously. "Why would you do that?"
"We're trying to clear space for the newer shows. There's a lot of stuff from the '50s and '60s that we're getting rid of. If Mr. Marx would like it, we'll be happy to send all of the reels to him."
My wife's grandmother was a guest on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town in the early 1950s.  I've searched numerous times for it, to no avail.  I would love to gift a copy to my mother-in-law, to see it myself, to show it to our daughter.  But for now, that's just a wish. 

 

No comments: