Friday, May 30, 2014

I Can Relate!

Even Grammarians Are Now Misusing Exclamation Marks

I used to judgy about exclamation points. But now I find myself using them frequently after gradually ramping up over the last 15 years. 
And sometimes I still feel pangs of writer's guilt. 
""Exclamation points are becoming the standard after salutations and happy or eager statements such as 'I'm looking forward to seeing you,'" she said in an email to Science of Us. "It almost seems mandatory in e-mail." Well, okay. "Mandatory" for anyone who still doesn't know exactly what a semicolon is for, but surely not for someone who makes a living explaining good grammar to others? Nope. Even she is not immune. "Although my training tells me not to overuse exclamation points because they are shouty and juvenile, I find myself using them because I fear being seen as unfriendly or insincere if I only use a period." This has caused her some angst: "Sometimes I'm in such a quandary that I put them in and take them out and put them in again, but if I weren't Grammar Girl and I didn't think my writing was being scrutinized, I'm sure I'd use them liberally without a second thought.""

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/05/even-grammarians-are-misusing-exclamation-marks.html

- - -
Shared from the Digg iPhone app
Want more stories like this? Check out Digg Reader →



Typos courtesy of my iPhone

No comments: