Wednesday, November 6, 2013

deBlasio In A Progressive Landslide;

What a year it's been!  I've been telling anyone who would listen (and many who wouldn't) for almost a year that Bill deBlasio was going to be the next Mayor of New York City.  But I'll confess I would have been pleased with a 30% margin of victory.  deBlasio's near 50% margin of victory over Joe Lhota was as clear a mandate for Bill's agenda that any leader could ask for (and finally answers the age old question).  The energy in the room last night was more subdued than the joyous excitement of the primary celebration; this time we all knew in advance what the outcome would be.  But more importantly I think everyone in the room last night already understood that what we won last night was an opportunity to work harder and longer than any campaign.  The task of governance lies ahead, and we have a lot of work ahead of us.  And I've never been happier to be faced with hard work ahead than last night!

Something I wrote last January:
For whatever reason the media continues to focus on Lhota as a viable candidate for Mayor.  Truth be told I'm not sure he can survive the GOP primary, let alone win a general election.  He was a decent MTA head and I wish he'd stayed to give the place a little stretch of continuity.  Instead, he'll be a minor footnote as a failed mayoral candidate.
. . . .
 After Lhota loses the election, he'll have plenty of time to read The Power Broker.
Great book, by the way.  

No comments: