Wednesday, April 30, 2014

'Game of Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin: The Rolling Stone Interview

Excellent interview with GRRM in Rolling Stone.  Though I'm of a younger generation, I can relate to this part:
I don't think America has ever quite recovered from Vietnam. The
divisions in our society still linger to this day. For my generation
it was a deeply disillusioning experience, and it had a definite
effect on me. The idealistic kid who graduated high school, a big
believer in truth, justice and the American way, all these great
values of superheroes of his youth, was certainly less idealistic by
the time I got out of college.
For me, it was the no-fly zones and sanctions on Iraq after the first gulf war, as well as the "War on Drugs" policies that first caused me to question my underlying assumptions.  Believe it or not, I was pretty much Alex P. Keaton (minus the educated liberal parents) when I was 15.

No comments: