Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Duke-stir

Back in summer 2003, I was at the ACLU convention in DC. One of the big activities was for everyone to gather by state/district and go barnstorming your Representatives and Senators.
Being from New Jersey, it was a fun day. I took a picture with Corzine, and my Democratic Rep's Chief of Staff was very cordial to our group as well. It was a great day.

Getting back on the bus later, I ran into a 40-ish woman and a teenage boy from California, and asked, "How was your day?"

Terrible! Their Congressman, on hearing the word "ACLU" came charging out of his office, red-faced and screaming obscenities. After calling his constituents commies, traitors, etc. in far more colorful language, he kicked them out. Well, that man's name was Randy "Duke" Cunningham . . . this Duke Cunningham.

I was blown away at the difference in experience that we had with our elected officials . . . and that little tangential experience in my life multiplied the schadenfreude when the Duke went down in flames. Currently serving more than 8 years in the Federal pen . . . maybe he can turn one of thos eindustrial prison laundries into a new hot tub.

No comments: